Find the latest information on COVID-19, monkeypox, and the flu vaccine
New to MyHealth?
Manage Your Care From Anywhere.
Access your health information from any device with MyHealth. You can message your clinic, view lab results, schedule an appointment, and pay your bill.
Physical locations of the Release of Information (ROI) offices are currently closed for walk-up services but are continuing to accept requests via mail and fax. Please call the ROI office phone number if you have any questions.
View all SHC operational updates » View the COVID-19 Resource Center »
Release of information
A patient, or his/her legal representative, may inspect and/or obtain a copy of their medical records, or have copies of medical records sent to another facility.
Stanford Health Care requires a completed and signed Authorization for Release of Health Information form before releasing any documents to anyone, including the patient. In certain cases, a patient's physician, psychologist or social worker may also be required to approve a request made using a release form.
Stanford employs information exchange in certain situations. If you have questions about this process, please feel free to contact the Health Information Management Services department directly at 650-723-5721.
Access More from MyHealth
Beginning this April, you can access more of your care information and clinical notes from the mobile app or the web version of MyHealth.
How to request a copy of your medical records
- Print and complete the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information form:
- The release form must be completed, dated and signed
- We ask that you specify what components of your medical records you wish to obtain/release. Often, the discharge summary, operative report and history and physical contain relevant information to suit your needs.
- Requests must be specifically signed if requesting/authorizing the following information:
- Psychiatric Care
- Alcohol/Drug abuse
- Fertility Treatment
Stanford Health Care medical records
If you have any questions regarding release of health information from Stanford Health Care, please call 650-723-5721.
You may mail the forms to:
Stanford Health Care
Health Information Management Services
430 Broadway, Mail Code 6330
Redwood City, CA 94063
Stanford Medicine Partners or (SMP) medical records
For Stanford Medicine Partners or (SMP) questions, please feel free to contact SMP directly at 510-731-2676.
As a patient, you or your legal representative may obtain a copy of your medical records or have copies of your medical records sent to another person or facility. You can fill out the request for your records online by logging in to MyHealth on the web and completing the form under My Medical Records>Request Records.
Release of medical information charges
- No charges for page count if 75 pages or less.
- $0.15 per page for 76 pages and over.
- If your charges exceed $100, we require payment before the records are released
Next steps after requesting medical records
- Please allow up to 14 calendar days for your request to be processed. If you indicated the option to pick-up your medical records, you will be contacted by the Release of Information Office when your records are ready. A photo ID is required.
- If an individual other than the patient is picking up the records, then that individual must have an original signed authorization letter from the patient and a photo ID.
- Learn how to request share access to a child's or adult patient's online health record at Stanford Health Care through the MyHealth Share Access (Proxy) Program. If you or your child received care at Stanford Children's Health, learn how to request share access to your online health record(s) via their myChart Program.
- Once you have obtained and reviewed your records, if you find an error that requires correction, please discuss it with your provider or use the form provided below to request a correction/amendment. Please include a copy of the page(s) where the error(s) occur and the completed form. You will receive a written reply within 60-days but for more complex cases, this may be extended an additional 30 days.
If you have questions regarding your billing statement, please refer to our Billing information.
Learn how to request share access to a child's or adult patient's online health record and/or billing information through the MyHealth Share Access (Proxy) Program.
If you or your child received care at Stanford Children's Health, learn how to create an account and/or request share access to view your child's online health record(s) and medical bills using their myChart Program.
If you are requesting Radiology, Cardiac Cath and Echo Lab images, please print and complete a Radiology Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information form:
You can contact:
- The Radiology Imaging/Film Library by calling 650-723-6717 (Opt #5, then Opt #1)
To provide breast imaging exams completed outside of Stanford Health Care: click here and scroll to the “For Patients” section for more information.
If you are requesting telemetry tapes or photos, echocardiograms, etc., you must contact the department that collected the data.
You can contact:
- Clinical Genomics Laboratory by email at email@example.com and submit the completed Genomic Data Release Liability and Disclosure form.
- EKG Film Library by calling 650-723-7407
- The Pathology Slides Library by calling 650-723-7211
Health Information Exchange
Stanford Health Care and Stanford Medicine Partners or (SMP) practices participate in secure electronic health information exchange. Our ability to safely share health information with other members of your care team benefits you in many ways.
Patient Health Information Exchange Handout
Patient Health Information Exchange Exemption Form
Patient Request to Rescind Health Information Exchange Exemption Form
Stanford employs information exchange in certain situations. If you have questions about this process, please contact our Health Information Management Services department directly at 650-723-5721.
For SMP questions, please contact Stanford Medicine Partners or (SMP) directly at 510-731-2676.
Protecting your health information, including reproductive health information
In June 2022, the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v Wade led to legal restrictions against some reproductive health services in many states across the U.S. Stanford Medicine operates in California, where laws protect and enable comprehensive reproductive services for our patients.
No matter where you live or receive care, you may wish to limit access to information about your personal health. This document outlines actions you can take to protect the privacy of your health information, including your reproductive health information.